Full name __________________________________________________________________________
I. Listening “Galileo Galilei”
Listen to the text about Galileo Galilei.Are the sentences true (T) or false (F)?
1.Galileo was born in Padua.
2.His father was a scientist.
3. He was the father of three children.
4.He spent his last years in hospital.
5. He wasn’t married.
Read the text about Erasmus and mark the sentences T (True) F (False)
Desiderius Erasmus was born in Rotterdam in Holland, in 1466 or 1469-we don’t know exactly when. His mother and father died when he was 15 years old. He went to school in Holland, where he was a very good student of Latin. When he finished school he studied at the University of Paris. Later he worked as a teacher there for some years. After that he went to England and he was a professor at Cambridge University. When he was in England he made many friends including King Henry VIII. After that Erasmus travelled all over Europe and lived and worked at universities in many different countries. He studied Greek, and he wrote many books including famous edition of the Bible in Latin and Greek. Erasmus died in Switzerland on 12th July 1536. 450 years later the Erasmus program, where students can study at universities in other countries was started.
- His mother and father died when he was a teenager.
- He went to school in Paris.
- He was s teacher in France.
- He studied at Cambridge University.
He died when he was 50.
III. Lexical-grammar test
|Street last they can`t four|
Complete the sentence. Use the words in the box.
1.____________ Saturday John and Vanessa Smith visited Amsterdam.
2.____________ went by car. They left their car in a street near canal.
3. They forgot the name of the __________
4. We ________find our car, said Mr. Smith to the police officer.
5. They looked for the car for ____ hours and then went to the police.
Complete the sentences with the correct form of have /has
- I ________got a family.
- I __________father, mother, two sisters and a brother.
- My parents _________ got many relatives.
- My mother _______ three sisters and a brother.
- My father _________two cousins.
- My grandparents ________five grandchildren.
My aunt _____a niece and a nephew.
- My uncle ____ two children.
- Henry _____got a wife.
Complete the sentences with the correct form to be (am, is, are)
A: Hi, Alex. How (1) are you?.
B: Hello David. I (2) _________ fine and how (3)
_____ you doing?
A: I (4) _________doing fine.
B: How (5) _________ your sister? Where (6) _________she now?
A: She (7) _________ in London. She (8)_______learning English there.
B: Really? That (9) _________wonderful! How about your parents?
A; They (10) _________ fine too. They (11) _________ in Cyprus now.
B: (12) _________ you busy tonight?
A: Not really, why?
B: We (13) _________ having a party. Would you like to come?
A: I’d love to.
B: Then come to our place at 7:00 p.m.
Write the dates in words.
- 4/3 __________________________
- 19/5 __________________________
Complete the sentences with the verbs in the box
|Do/does was/were did|
- Where _______he work?
- _______you like French food?
- What _____you do last weekend?
- Where ________you last night?
- ________she live in New York now?
- ________you skiing last year?
When ______he born?
- We _______ at home yesterday.
- How many children ______ they have now?
Write the sentences in the negative
- I work in an office. – ___________________________
- The film is very good. – ___________________________
- There`s a CD player in the car. -_____________________________
- She goes to work by car – _______________________________
- We go shopping in town. – ______________________________.
- There are a lot of hotels in this area. – _____________________________
- The weather was very hot. – ________________________________
- My children were born in the US. – ________________________________
- I was born in 1989. -________________________________
- David played basketball at school. –
Match a verb in A with a line in B
|get up go watch listen to play work cook eat have drink||cards beer a good time a CD in a hospital at 7 o’clock in the morning a meal in restaurants to swimming a video|
Complete the text with the Past Simple form of the verbs
Bill Gates (1) was born in Seattle, Washington USA. Gates (2) (write) his first computer software programme at school – a computer game.
In 1970, at the age of 15, Bill Gates and his school friend Paul developed a computer programme called ‘Traf-o-Data’, that (3) (earn) them $20,000. But Gates’ parents (4) (want) him to finish school and become a lawyer. So Gates (5) (go) to Harvard University. But he (6) (leave) after only one year. Then he (7) (start) a new company with Paul in 1975. They called this company Microsoft. Gates (8) (become) one of the richest men in the world.
Gates met Melinda French in 1987. They (9) (marry) in 1994 in Hawaii and (10) (have) three children. They also (11) (start) the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 1994, giving billions of dollars for health and education projects all over the world.
Topic: About myself